Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Amn't

Every once in a while I will have small ramblings on the English language. This is one of those times.

Why is there no contraction for 'am not?' If you think about it, it just makes sense. I have no specific need for it, but every other word that can have the word 'not' following it has a contraction for it:

isn't
can't
won't
don't
shouldn't
wouldn't
couldn't
shan't
hasn't

These are just off the top of my head. It just seems so easy to do. It should be amn't. As I typed that, my spell check underlined it and I felt sad. I don't know about you, but I amn't going to stand for this anymore. I say we embrace the contraction! I won't back down. You shouldn't either. Join me in my struggle!

Now is the time!

8 comments:

  1. According to wikipedia the reason we don't use amn't is that "English tends to dislike the nasal consonants /m/ and /n/ together". It does sound funny, I like the inspirational video though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what about "ain't"? or is that not correct english?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooooo!

    I'M NOT going to stand for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a kid I read a book about a kid who wanted to prove to his teacher that the dictionary is not the beginning and end of the English language. So he started calling a pen a frindle. It caught on. By the time he was 30 it was entered into the dictionary.

    Try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also going to say the Frindle thing, but English Major said it first. But yes, this is exactly like Frindle.

    BJG: Spanish does that too--if you have to use and indirect pronoun such as "le" and a direct pronoun such as "la" together, one of them turns into "se" for sound purposes. All languages do that, actually, including Hebrew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny. I mentioned this idea to the secratary at my place of work and she also mentioned the book. I have not read it, but I might now. Apparently, it's a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frindle is a great book. You should read it.

    ReplyDelete