Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Aaaah, the Things We Learn

I have picked up quite a few things from girls I've dated. I'm not talking about habits like knuckle-cracking or nail-biting, but there were a few things that girls have pointed out to me that I have adapted and even use as my own.

There is one main reason for this to happen. I believe that I take these things on to have one more thing in common with the girl. However, it ends up turning out that I like the thing(s) that I picked up. So I keep it going. It turns out that there is a reason that people like these things.

Here is a brief but complete list of ideas and hobbies that I have undertook thanks to girls with whom I have gone out:

Flight of the Conchords- A girl introduced me to this comedy group and I was hooked for about six months. Then I got bored.

Hilarious vs. Hysterical- A girl introduced me to the idea that people tend to only say one or the other when referring to a humorous story. It is quite rare if you use both.

Guitar Hero- As I've mentioned before in a post that I didn't care to go find, I girl kicked my rear in Guitar Hero, so I learned how to play the game. On a more recent date, I played it again. And lost again, but by less.

Pandora Internet Radio
- I did not know about this until a girl introduced me to it. Now, I can't function without it.

List Keeping- Every night before bed, I make a list of things I need to do the next day. They don't always all get done, but just having a list to keep my mind heading in the right direction helps a lot.

Blogging- Yup, I blog because of a girl. While there are a number of girls I've dated who blog (no, it's not you), the one who actually got me into it was one who only read blogs (and commented here and there). I dated her for a little while and thought that it would be interesting if in the future I could get her to unknowingly read my blog. Even after we broke up, I kept it going.

Phone Call Laundry- A girl once told me that while talking to a guy on the phone, she folds laundry to have something mindless to do while having a conversation. I started doing this and it really helped with the phone talk (something I otherwise find quite difficult).

This is everything I am aware of. There may be more. I'll add them in if I figure any more out. Am I in the minority? Do other people pick anything up from their dates (with or without realizing)?

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thank the person who started me on pandora, its awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never picked up any habits from the guys I dated- I wonder what that says about them...

    BJG: West Side Story is amazing, I hope you enjoy it! If you have a chance you should see it on Broadway as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one. I learn something from every guy I date--an interesting fact, a new way to do things, a new interest. At one point, I was even writing down something I learned after every date. That way, no matter how the relationship worked out (or didn't ) I had proof that I had gained something from the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmmm...I guess I got some basketball practice in D&B's :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pandora is fanstastic. I discovered it around two years ago and it's one of my favorite things about the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SJ, Smart Blondie- I understand that you may have picked up a few ideas here and there which you found to make sense, or are things you now appreciate because a guy pointed them out to you, but the things I have listed are quite prominent things in my life. They are things I do or quote all the time.

    BJG- I don't think West Side story would count in this case, but musical tastes definitely would. I forgot to mention that in my original post. I listened to certain bands that I am now somewhat a fan of due to being hit over the head with them by certain girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry, BJG. Musicals do count. So do those catch phrases.

    ReplyDelete