Monday, March 22, 2010

And Another One's Gone and Another One's Gone

Yesterday, I posted about my gchat status being "Another one bites the dust." In case you didn't figure it out, it meant that another one of my friends got engaged. Last night, I showed up to an appointment 10 minutes early. For whatever reason, I didn't want to go in early, but I had absolutely nothing to do. As I pulled into a parking spot, I received a call from a close friend I had in high school who I haven't had the chance to speak to recently. It was great to hear from him and I was anticipating the call being

"Guess what?"

"You're engaged?"

"Yeah, how did you know?"

But wasn't like that. He asked how I was doing, what I was up to, where I was working, how school is, what about grad school, dating life, the upcoming baseball season, etc. I was truly shocked. He just wanted to call to say 'hi.' I exchanged the questions and we had a nice conversation.

He was off from Yeshiva and wanted to know if we would be able to get together some time. I said "sure." He then asked me what I was doing that night. I told him I was busy, but I'd be available later on in the week.

"Oh. Because I got engaged like an hour ago and I wanted to know if you could come to the l'chaim."

Curses! Foiled again!

I have to hand it to him. He had me completely fooled. I was busy so I couldn't go, but I was touched that he took the time to have a conversation with me before letting me know the good news. That's someone who cares. That's someone who realizes that a situation that should be completely about him isn't about him. It's about sharing the simcha with others. It's about recognizing that although I'm the man of he hour, you're important, too.

Just another one of my amazing friends.

3 comments:

  1. Er...I totally disagree. Once in each person's lifetime, they are allowed to call and scream "I am engaged!" without the need for small talk before. Everyone gets their five minutes.

    -Chan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and think that's awesome. Scream if it's a good friend that you speak to all the time and you know what they are up to. But if it's someone you aren't always in touch with, catching up first is very classy. Mad props.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chan- I wasn't saying that he wasn't entitled to do it. I wouldn't have been upset at all if he had done it. I was simply commenting that he went above and beyond what any normal person (including myself) would have done in that situation. He is a kind and caring person and needs to be commended for it. Like I said, "just another one of my amazing friends."

    Simmy- exactly.

    ReplyDelete