Friday, March 12, 2010

Camp

While watching the latest episode of The Office, a commercial came up for camp. Not a specific camp, just camp.



As someone who has been heavily entrenched in camp for a long time, I can tell you that just about all that you see on this commercial is true. Kids look forward to camp. It is their escape from the city life that they are so used to. Kids learn self-esteem; they learn what they are good at; they make friends for life. Some of my absolute closest friends I met in camp, including one who lives down my block (no New York jokes, please). As one of the actors said on the commercial, it was an incentive for him to do well in school, just so he could go back.

All I'm saying is that when it comes time for you to decide whether or not to send your own children to camp, here are a few very strong reasons to send them. And when you do send them, please take as much time in choosing a camp as you would for a school. Maybe more. Because to some extent, a camp molds a child even more than a school might. Remember, when sending a child away for a month, he or she doesn't have mommy and daddy to come home to at night so it is mostly self-discovery.

10 comments:

  1. I think the commercial is because of the finacial situation, parents are less likely to send their children to camp. They are telling parents that it is better to send them to camp because of all thebenefits it gives to kids. On a side note, does anyone recognize more than 2 of the ppl that were shown, at least show more famous ppl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally, 100%, agree.

    -Chan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camp was always awesome for me. But I never really understood how much fun it was for the, erm, less-than-athletic kids. For most of my friends and I, it was all about the leagues. Anybody have the ability to explain that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. FrumJew- I can't say much for other camps, but the camp that I went to had things for the less-than-athletic kids to do. Remember, sports were only played three times a day. The rest of the day was devoted to davening, workshops, learning, swimming, boating, night activities, etc. There was always plenty to do if you didn't like sports. As someone who was decently athletic, and enjoyed doing other activities, I never felt slighted at all. I played sports. I worked in the woodwork shop. I helped out in plays and songs (even as a camper). There was always something to do.

    Additionally, this post wasn't only intended for boys' camps. Girls definitely don't need to be athletic to have a good time at camp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rest of the day was devoted to davening, workshops, learning, swimming, boating, night activities, etc. There was always plenty to do if you didn't like sports.

    I suppose, but still... My camp had all that stuff too, but those were all just secondary to the main activity (besides davening and learning; obviously those were important), and truth be told, my camp's facilities for other activities weren't that great, especially as we grew older and less easily entertained. And trips can only cover so many days. And swimming gets boring after a while (especially if you weren't running around playing sports in the sun all day). And not that many participated in the plays and songs. I'm not trying to sound spoiled here; I'm just talking from personal experience. I had a great time in camp, myself.

    I dunno. Maybe they just played Game Boy all day. (Remember Game Boy?!!)

    Additionally, this post wasn't only intended for boys' camps. Girls definitely don't need to be athletic to have a good time at camp.

    Yes, yes, 100% - I was asking solely about boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe those who weren't interested in sports shouldn't have gone to your camp. It's true that sports was the main thing by us, but it certainly wasn't the ONLY thing. Most campers used to die to get involved in one of the productions or other such events.

    And- wow! GameBoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe those who weren't interested in sports shouldn't have gone to your camp.

    No, that's the thing - they seemed to enjoy camp anyway!

    Most campers used to die to get involved in one of the productions or other such events.

    Really? I mean, I was in a production or two and it was pretty cool, but "most" and "die" - it was that big a deal?

    ReplyDelete