The Cool Kid.
The Cool Kid is the teenager to which every elementary school kid looks up. There is usually a female Cool Kid and a male Cool Kid for each group respectively, but not necessarily. We all had that Cool Kid in shul to whom we looked up. My Cool Kid was actually my first Youth leader, and is now married with a number of children of his own. I still envy him.
But what makes the Cool Kid cool?
For one thing, his initials are CK. Automatic coolness, but other cool factors possessed by the CK are:
- A teenager; usually a Sophomore or a Junior in High School.
- A strong following; especially of kids at least 3 years younger.
- A reputation for taking on the Scary Man.
- Perpetually hanging out in the shul's stairwell.
- Has an "in" with the Kiddush Committee; may be seen servin,g chullent.
- May lead a youth group such as "Junior Congregation," "Pirchei" or other youth activites, but will always do it lazily.
- Does not daven with his/her father/mother; rather attends the hashkama minyan.
If you believe yourself to be a Cool kid and are looking for some impressionable, young minds to corrupt, there is a vacancy at your position in my shul. Boys and girls younger than 15 or older than 18 need not apply.