Thursday, April 29, 2010

One Guy Named Ira

I don't know what it is about Young Israels, but there is always on guy with the name "Ira." Ira is usually not very loud, but can have a conversation with anyone about anything. You just have to find him. He won't just come over to you and start chatting.

Ira is generally well liked and doesn't cause much of a fuss in shul. However, once in a while, Ira will get upset about something and make a point. A point which everyone will consider wise simply because Ira made it, and Ira never speaks out unless it's important.

I thought the "Ira" tradition would die slowly within the next forty years or so, simply because the name is kind of outdated. However, I was recently at a bris where the child was given some name like Getzel. When the father was asked what they were actually going to call him, he replied, "We'll probably use his English name, Ira."

Awesome. The tradition lives! So if you are going to be in a Young Israel this Shabbos, make sure to go over and give your local Ira a great big "Good Shabbos." Then talk to him about anything you want. The man knows.

8 comments:

  1. I once met a guy named Ira and he did happen to know everything... hmmm interesting
    By the way if you don't mind me asking which yeshiva did you go to? you sound very familiar and I have been trying to figure out if I know you or not but I'm having a hard time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind you asking, but I hope you don't mind me not telling. If it helps, I have never mentioned my Yeshiva on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine I'll accept that and yes I realized that you never mentioned it and that is precisely why I asked... at least I tried... what if I guess will you tell me if I am correct??

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. actually you are not who i thought you were... sorry about that

    ReplyDelete
  6. true story...from experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know a little boy named Ira. :)

    ReplyDelete