Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Inten City- Population: Me

Well, it's happened. Someone pointed something out to me about myself that I had known to be true, but didn't know how bad it was. On this blog, I rant all the time. That is because I tend to notice a lot of things that deserved to be ranted about. However, it has been brought to my attention that I can get to be a little let's call it tense, or rather intense.

We all remember learning vocabulary in school. I always used to notice how right after we recieved a new word, it tended to pop up everywhere I turned. I can distinctly recall this happening with the word "flabbergasted." The week after I obtained that word into my repertoire, I saw it six times in a week.

The same is true for this intensity about me. I notice it a lot more now. I notice how I let things get to me. I notice how it affects me and those around me. I now know that it can cause me physical pain. And it's not everything, and it's not all the time. It's in select moments of higher emotion. Now that it was pointed out to me, I see it; I feel it; I know it's there.

So now I'm faced with a task. I need to learn how to calm down. I wish I could follow Bob Newhart's advice and just stop it, but it's not that simple. So I turn to you, internet. Any ideas how I could nip this in the stage following the bud? Don't mention any meditation methods or I ight blow a gasket.

5 comments:

  1. That is because I tend to notice a lot of things that deserved to be ranted about.

    Isn't that a bit of an...arrogant way to approach the world?

    Anyway, I know you said no meditation, but honestly:

    1. Slow down - remember, almost none of this stuff actually matters.
    2. Breathe
    3. Move on. You have better things to do than get worked up over stupid little annoyances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random thoughts:
    Whenever you are about to say something out of emotion and not logic, shut your mouth, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and think twice.
    Try to avoid judging people at all but when it happens (you're human) consider their background and what factors out of their control may have contributed to their state. Don't waste your time worrying about things you can't control. Think about how important something that bothers you, or something that is going wrong, truly is: In 3 years will it matter? Will you even remember? Force yourself to go out of your way to sacrifice from yourself to help other people and be nice. Always say yes when someone asks if you can do them a favor. Have a positive attitude on everything. Smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to learn how to calm down.

    Meh. I'd go with "dial it back" more than "calming" down. That has a much greater effect on intensity than calming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know where you're coming from. I find it helps for me to take a step back and either do something about the complaint, dismiss it, or try to explain it. If it really bothers me, I'll vent about it. But I try to keep in mind that most of the time, the complaint isn't worth my time or energy.

    If we ever do lunch, we can discuss it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. go ahead rant ur brains out! thats what a blog is for

    ReplyDelete