Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Remembering the 90s

Like many of you, I ended up in a class that I found thoroughly boring. I mean, my mind was completely shut down during this class. Fortunately for me, my class was in the area of Media Studies (an area in which I am completely interested, but had a terrible professor) and through no credit of her own, the professor gave me a tremendous idea during the class.

So I decided to write down all of the things I remembered from the decade in which I grew up (1990s). Here's what I remembered in the span of an hour and a half. You are welcome to add anything to a list or create your own list.

NOTE- Anything that was already a huge deal in the 80s or did not become a huge deal until the turn of the 00s (I don't know how to abbreviate that) was left out.

Toys
Tomagachi/Nano
Furby
Polly Pocket
Yo-Yo craze
Pogs
Beanie Babies
Skip It

TV Shows
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Whose Line is it Anyway?
X-Files
Seinfeld
Everybody Loves Raymond
Freinds
Power Rangers
NBA on NBC
Walker, Texas Ranger
Bobby's World
Mad About You
Will and Grace
Animaniacs
Pinky and The Brain

News Stories
OJ Simpson
Columbine Shooting
Dotcom Crash
Y2K
First World Trade Bombing
Olympic Bombing
Oklahoma City Bombing
Amadou Diallo
First Intifada

Sports Stories
Tanya vs Nancy
Jordan Retires Twice
Yankees Threepeat
Bulls Repeat Threepeat
MLB Introduces Inter-league
Dream Team David Wells Perfect Game
David Cone Perfect Game
MLB Strike
McGwire and Sosa
Rangers End Curse
Browns Move to Baltimore
Magic Johnson Tests HIV Positive

Music
Metallica
Jenifer Lopez
LL Cool J
Brittany Spears
Run DMC
Randy Travis
Radio Disney
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Backstreet Boys
'n Sync

Movies
Toy Story
Lion King
Braveheart
Titanic
Erin Brockovich
Gladiator
Jerry Maguire
Aladdin
Something About Mary
Little Giants

Celebrities
Jerry Seinfeld
Bob Saget
Rosie O'Donnell
Macaulay Culkin
Adam Sandler
Bill Clinton
Bo Jackson

Ad Campaigns
Wazap?
Budweiser Frogs
pets.com puppet
Did somebody say McDonald's?
Like a rock - Chevy

Technology
AOL Keyword
askjeeves.com
Napster
Floppy Discs
Web TV
Cell Phones

I have definitely left things out. I also realize that this is slightly New York-biased. Forgive me. This is my childhood; not yours. If you don't like it, make your own list (or add onto mine).

21 comments:

  1. (These are from my memory of either my own experience or what other kids talked about. I have no idea when this stuff started though - like if it started in the 80s or something)

    Toys - slap bracelets, slinkies, silly puddy (btw, whatever happened to card collecting? baseball cards, torah cards, etc.)

    TV Shows - Alex Mac, Clarissa Explains It All, All That, Home Improvement, Saved By The Bell, Sister Sister, Ducktales, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Rugrats, Doug, Babar, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Family Double Dare, Guts, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, so many more!

    Movies - Mission Impossible, Men in Black, Air Force One, Anastasia

    Music - Hansen, Spice Girls, Goo Goo Dolls, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day

    Books - Harry Potter 1, 2, and 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So firstly, VH1's "I Love the '90s" series is totally, totally worth watching.

    Secondly, the OOs are called the "aughts."

    Thirdly:

    TV Shows:
    The Secret World of Alex Mack
    Clarissa Explains it All
    Rugrats
    Doug
    Full House (started in the 80s, does that disqualify it?)

    Movies:
    101 Dalmatians

    Also, you left out a whole category - books! My contributions to that:
    Sweet Valley Twins
    Babysitters Club
    Babysitters Club Little Sister
    Animorphs

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Mary-Kate and Ashley when they were still little and cute! And Parent Trap when Lindsay Lohan was still little and cute!

    And, geez, how could I forget Salute Your Shorts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Erachet, I totally forgot about all the Nickelodeon competition shows. Those were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Sweet Valley and Babysitters Club! And Boxcar Children. And Cam Jansen.

    Also, Are You Afraid of the Dark (that show seriously traumatized me).

    Angels in the Outfield, Mighty Ducks, Sandlot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little Rascals! Free Willy!

    ...K...going to bed now...heh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apple, I disqualify the first 2 of your entries in the book category. Those were around when I was grade-school-reading, sometime around 1954. I'm officially too old to be friends with all of you children!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with RaggedyMom. That would also disallow series such as the Boxcar Children, Hardy Boys and Encyclopedia Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. -Big gray Gameboys with Super Mario Bros
    -Sega Genesis and NBA Jam
    -Golden age of LEGO (now it's all about movie and culture tie-ins)
    -End of yeshivish station-wagons beginning of Minivans
    -Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    -The introduction of Fruit-by-the-Foot
    -Rollerblades

    -Chew Chews candy
    -

    ReplyDelete
  10. Space Jam. Oreos are kosher?

    ReplyDelete
  11. TV Shows:
    Aladdin
    Smurfs
    A Pup Named Scooby Doo
    Where is Carmen Sandiego?
    Sabrina the Teenage Witch
    Boy Meets World
    The Nanny
    Sailor Moon
    DuckTales
    The Wonder Years
    Flinstone Kids

    Candy:
    Gushers
    Kosher Twix
    Jelly Belly
    Fruit by the Foot
    Crystal Pepsi

    Toys:
    Imitation Giga Pets (until they all got confiscated in school)
    Furby (my first one had a seizure, and its replacement was catatonic)
    Beanie Babies
    Color GameBoy & GameGear
    Gak
    Super Soakers
    Twister

    Movies:
    Jumanji
    Clueless
    Lion King
    Anastasia
    Princess Bride
    Home Alone
    Space Jam

    ReplyDelete
  12. a- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles began in the 80s
    fruit by the foot, too.

    NYC Girl-
    Smurfs date back to the 50s.
    Twister dates back to the 60s.
    A Pup Named Scooby Doo and The Wonder Years both began in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You don't have to be so nitpicky! They might not have been invented in the 90's but they were a big part of the 90's culture when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. News Stories
    Clinton's impeachment trial

    Sports
    Mike Tyson biting off Hollyfields ear

    A pretty exhaustive list, and any ones that i thought of that were missing erachet, the apple, and NYC girl thought of. I guess thats what happens when we all grow up at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. harry-er - Nice ones! I can't believe I forgot those.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The only part I think I could add to is the music, but I'm too embarrassed to admit to listening to some of that stuff. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  17. freaking steve urkel!!

    ME

    ReplyDelete
  18. ME- *HEAD SLAP* Of course Steve Urkel! Great call!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kurt Kobain kills Hair Metal... then himself.
    (not uh Courtney Love did it!!!!)

    ReplyDelete